So, the aught-years draw to a close. What have these years of the 2econd Millennium CE brought me?
- 2001 - Aside from the obvious, my husband's second youngest son got killed in a car wreck near Nairobi, Kenya. Drunk driving was involved. For 2.5 years he was insane. Now his sanity has returned but he is not himself. Losing a child is the most difficult thing; I understand.
- 2002 - A hellish year. My time and energy was mostly spent in getting Simon to eat in between beers and getting together enough cash to be able to wash clothes and buy food and pay rent.
- 2003 - Another year in hell, very similar to the year before until Christmas. Simon suddenly, abruptly came to his senses. He is still grieving, but at least he isn't completely crazy. The rest of the decade is dominated by my health problems, I'm afraid. Early in the year, I fell down into the concrete parking lot carrying clothes to the laundry room. My left forarm was shattered and was rebuilt; I now have 2 (count'em, two) metal bars in my left arm, along with some noticeable scars; I wish I had a good story to go with them!
- 2004 - The year of the gallstones. Gallstones are painful. Very, very painful. I had my gallbladder removed, followed by a second procedure to remove a stone stuck in a duct. The surgery was easy, relatively painless. During the procedure to remove the stone, the doctor mmanaged to scrape my pancreas. OUCH!! I was on liquids only for a couple weeks, then I recovered fine.
- 2005 - On New Year's Day, we moved to where we are still living, a nice house complete with yard and garden in an equally nice residential neighbourhood. The first half of the year was uneventful. In August, I had a mild heart attack (caused by a blood clot, not my weight). On 11 September, Simon had liver failure and was told never to drink alcohol again, advice which he took for a couple years.
- 2006 - One of the landmark years of my life. In April, I had a major stroke and died two times. Twice. Quite reluctantly, I returned. But that is minor compared to what else happened. MY RETURN TO SIKHI. I came back, re-took Amrit and was reunited with my five surviving brothers and my dear Maman ji, Mani's mother. Much else happened, as well, but another important event happened. I came online. Most of the rest is in sometimes - 2, which I refer you to.
- 2007 - Most of my energy was spent on recovering from the stroke.
I need say little here. It's all in the other blog.
- 2008 - Moving on, growing. I became a member of the EAB (Editorial Advisor Board at GLZ (Gurmat Learning Zone). Simon started drinking again. Or maybe that was in 2007, I'm not sure. Anyway, his drinking has transformed him from Simon into Shrek. The only thing that happened all year that he approved of was the election of Barack Obama.
- 2009 - This year. The year of the Recession. I became a moderator at GLZ (Gurmat Learning Zone.) Shrek's hours at work were cut and he discovered he could make almost as much money staying home and collecting unemployment, which gives him more time to lay around the house drinking. But all is not lost. This also the year that a dear cyberfriend gave me this wonderful computer. And then the Photoshop CS4 (Extended). I am learning to use that. Evidence: the picture at the top of this post. Should anyone be interested in seeing my artistic attempts, you are in vited to visit My Gallery.
- 2010 - Anything, everything is possible.